Monday, November 21, 2011

a very mindful monday (#8)

My new mantra:
easier said than done...

As many of you might know, I was in Birmingham this past weekend for a chance at a Rhodes Scholarship. I failed at achieving this goal, and it was a little harder to take than I was expecting. Ultimately, I must simply look ahead to the great adventures that I know God has planned for me, but yesterday at least, it just felt better to sit down and cry, if only for a second. This Monday, I'm mindful of this experience, naturally, and how grateful I am for the sea of support that envelops me every single day. How appropriate for this holiday season!

Encouragement is what I'm most thankful for today, because it is the very thing enabling me to overcome this disappointment that I didn't anticipate feeling. Whether from my home priest (this week's sermon, so I hear, was a great one about being thankful), friends, family, professors, signs in a store, church marquis about Thanksgiving, or Mr. John Mayer himself, I've been bombarded by uplifting thoughts. Hopefully they'll sink in soon ; )  <--that's supposed to look like a winky face, but it kind of just looks like a cross-eyed smiley face, haha

This song came on when I was driving home from the airport, right when I realized I had run out of quarters and cash on the turnpike. The lyrics were spot on, more than you know. It was like John was singing directly to me (yes, we're on a first name basis); there may or may not have been tears. Ima let you guess.

When I was looking through pictures I had taken while exploring Birmingham before the interviews, I found this one. In light of the blessings I have (like having been accepted to med school), it couldn't be more perfect.
In hindsight, I really wish I had bought a few of these cute pieces!

So be encouraged this Thanksgiving season. You are loved, you are blessed, and you are a beautiful gift from God in my life. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. your smiley face comment is hilarious. the winky face itself is hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete