Monday, April 23, 2012

Melegnano

It's amazing how the time has flown by.
Hard to believe I've been in Italy for about 3 weeks now, isn't it?

Last week, I finally got a chance to explore Melegnano, the little town in which I'm living my suitcase is located. Admittedly, I have gone up and down a few select streets several times (to catch the train to Milan), and did a good circuit around town during the Fiera del Perdono, but this was the first time that I really walked around without purpose.


Unfortunately, while we were walking, I kind of just felt like walking, so I don't have a whole lot of pictures to share. Just imagine a quaint little Italian town and you're probably on the right track.







Apparently, even quaint little towns here have crosswalks made of marble

After two days of hanging around Melegnano [and successfully boarding a bus without a ticket, but unsuccessfully finding the sought-after mall…], Zia and I headed back to Milano for a birthday dinner (for a friend).
 (Too bad I did a terrible job of relocating for the picture…)
From L-->R: 
Tony [bday boy], Mariella [my mom's cousin], her daughter Silvia [my 2nd cousin], her boyfriend Luca, Zia Lena, me, and my 2nd cousin Marco with his gf Ariana.

Buon Compleanno, Tony! Tante auguri!


The restaurant was quite good-- instead of breadsticks they had these fried-pizza-dough-type-things that were delicious [I know your mouth must be watering from that description], along with a bunch of prosciutto and cheese for appetizers. I had artichoke lasagna for dinner, and washed it down with some tasty Lambrusco.

Fun fact: This meal was, I think, my first time out to a restaurant for dinner (like a real, sit-down place), and my first time getting wine since arriving in Europe. (I've had a glass or two with dinner at 'home', but this was my first time having it out of the house.) I know, shocker right? Aren't I, like, in Italy or something? Doesn't this country solely consist of restaurants and wineries?!

Actually, I'm perfectly okay with that little factoid. Things have been going swell without the extra spending.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment