Sunday, April 08, 2012

Mia prima Pasqua in Italia

Yep, I'm skipping birthday festivities and moving on to Easter, not because it was a completely uneventful day, but because I'm staying at my cousin's house for a few days and don't have my camera cord. Thus, we are left only with the few pictures from my phone, which I took today. 

Today is Easter, which–regardless of Europe's generally atheistic tendencies–is a big deal here. In fact, I feel rather slighted because in Italy (and maybe elsewhere in Europe), they get Monday off of school. We (my cousin Silvia and I) plan to spend it with a bunch of peers at a friend's house in the nearby mountains. I'll try to take some pictures and share about that experience later :)
As for today,
I started with an Italian [Catholic] church service. I understood most some of it, and was glad that I have at least been raised Episcopalian, or else I would have been really lost. The service was at a nearby neighborhood church:
[Nope, my phone isn't cooperating either, so just imagine a picture of a little church here]

Then it was back home for the Easter lunch. Meals here, I have quickly learned, never end. They basically consist of the same categories of food as back home, but it's always one at a time (and thus larger portions of each). Here's today's menu, minus the three lame pictures I took (thus you're not missing much). Feel free to use your imagination.
  1. Antipasti (basically, appetizer-like items)-- a spinach/ricotta torte, another torte thing, salami, cheese, etc.
  2. Pasta-- lasagna. Yummo.
  3. Meat-- these delish cutlet things of steak, rolled up with a breadcrumb mixture, cheese, and rosemary on the inside.
  4. Salad-- lettuce, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt (they keep salad simple here, although it typically involves corn, which is new for me [and I like it!])
  5. Fruit-- my cousin and aunt made me an EdibleArrangements-esque array of fruit for my bday, and we had the leftovers
  6. Dessert-- an Easter cake and a ton of chocolate from a ton of giant Easter eggs
  7. Coffee/Tea or Limoncello/Spumante
Alright, well that's all I can think of for now. Arrivederci, e buona Pasqua!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment